Therefore, one of the best ways to unclog your toilet is to first manage the overflowing water. This can be done by pulling up the floater to avoid filling the toilet bowl. You can also shut off all water valves if the water pressure is high. Once the water has entirely gone down, you can unblock the sink without using a plunger.
How To Unclog A Toilet When Nothing Works
Before you start the process of unblocking your toilet without a plunger, you need to;
First, gather all the tools and equipment. This includes a pair of rubber gloves:
- A hanger or hosepipe.
- A dry vacuum cleaner.
- Caustic soda or baking soda and vinegar.
- A kettle to boil water.
- An old towel and other essentials.
Secondly, try to avoid flushing the toilet as this will get the room messy.
Thirdly, locate the blockage and if it is something visible, wear your gloves and pull it out. Alternatively, check if the water chamber is full and if the blockage is on the soil pipe. Empty it using special drain rod or a hanger.
A Quick Guide To Unblock A Toilet Without Plunger
Use Boiling Water
The use of boiling water is one of the methods you can rely on to unblock a sink without a plunger. If you realize your toilet is draining slowly, consider boiling some water. Add a cup of soda crystals to the water and then pour it on a clogged toilet.
Try to drain all the water in the bowl first and wait for the water levels to drop low. However, if the toilet is blocked completely, you need to empty it. Discard the water somewhere else and not in your sink or bathtub.
- Pour 1 to 2 litres of the boiling water with soda crystals to the toilet.
- Let the water sit in the toilet and wait for it to unblock. Often, depending on what caused the blockage, it can take a few minutes or an hour or so. Be patient. Even though your toilet will smell bad, it is usually a good sign that the hot water is working by breaking down the clog or faecal matter.
- Check after a while and if the boiling water is effective, the water will have drained to the bottom. To achieve the best results, pour some more boiling water to the toilet. You will realize that it is now flowing faster than before. You can repeat the same process until your toilet is fully unblocked.
Use A Hosepipe Or A Hanger
You can also use a hanger or a hosepipe to unblock a clogged toilet with no plunger. This is usually an effective method, if you can determine the cause of a blockage. Stool, toilet paper or sanitary towels can block a toilet. In this case, use a coat hanger to unclog it.
- Put on rubber gloves.
- Use a flexible or a fairly rigid hanger to try and get hold of the clog.
- Be prepared to get dirty and use your hanger or horse pipe to dislodge the clog. You may need to repeat this method until the clog dissolves or until you remove it.
- If the clog is stubborn, move the hanger from one side of the toilet to the other. You can also move it up and down.
- Some clogs are difficult to remove and you may need to lever it up and down with the hanger. Try this for 5 to 10 minutes because some clogs require a lot of shifting because you can dissolve or remove it from the toilet.
- If the water flushes away or rapidly falls, you will know that you have successfully removed the clog. Be sure to clean the toilet with a disinfectant before you use it. Similarly, use an antibacterial soap to clean your hands after the job is done.
Use Of Coca Cola
Probably you have heard that coca cola works magic when it comes to clearing a clogged sink or toilet. The popular drink has acidic ingredients that break down different types of toilet clogs.
- Buy two litres of coca cola.
- Remove any excess water from your toilet bowl.
- Slowly pour the drink into the toilet bowl.
- Let the coca cola to sit in the toilet for 3 hours or more. This depends on how serious or stubborn your blockage is. For a stubborn clog, you can leave the drink to sit in the toilet overnight. Repeat the same process if you realize that the clog is clearing away slowly. You can also refill the toilet bowl with hot water after using coca cola.
Wet And Dry Vacuum
A dry vacuum also does wonders when it comes to clearing a clogged toilet. You need to learn how to unblock a toilet because while it is effective, it is also risky.
- Use a vacuum to empty all the water from your toilet. If you are not sure, you can manually empty the water using a jug.
- Create a filter at the end of your vacuum hose using a throwaway towel. Hold the towel in place using a heavy duty tape.
- Test the filter by turning on the vacuum. If you have attached the towel well, it will stay in place once you switch on the vacuum. This process will help pave way for suction.
- Place the vacuum hose down the clogged toilet or specifically into the bowls U bend. Switch on the vacuum and wait for the suction to get rid of the clog. Toilet unblocking using a vacuum is easy, but you need to be careful to avoid causing a mess.
- You will be able to see if the clog has been efficiently removed. Discard the matter and repeat the process if necessary.
A rule of thumb is to always use a powerful vacuum. It works instantly and in case the clog is halfway cleared, you can resort to using boiling water to complete the task.
Use Vinegar and Baking Soda
Baking soda and vinegar have been used for ages to clear a clogged toilet. It works in the same way as coca cola because of the acids that break down clogs. However, it is more effective on minor blocks.
- Drain all the water in a toilet bowl.
- Pour a cup of vinegar into the toilet and then followed by a cup of baking soda.
- Let it settle for 5 minutes and then pour in a kettle of boiling water and leave it for another 2 minutes.
- Flush the toilet and see if the clog has been cleared. If it has not been fully eliminated, repeat the method 3 or 4 times until the clog is completely clear.
Dish soap has also been proven to clear a clogged toilet. It works by breaking down solids in a toilet bowl. If you cannot get dish soap, use hair shampoo.
- Squeeze dish soap into the toilet bowl and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Pour in boiling water and you will see that the clog will dissolve slowly or faster based on how serious the clog is. Often, it takes half an hour for the matter to dissolve.
- For more effective results, you can leave the dish soap overnight in the bowl.
If you have explored the above options and you realize that your toilet is still blocked, you can seek professional help. Experts have what it takes to clear a toilet blocked by different elements. They have the skills, expertise, experience and the tools to clean your toilet. Therefore, take time to find a professional plumber because the problem could be deep-rooted.
A professional will assess the blockage, check your toilet chambers and try to find the cause of the blockage. The plumber will then use the most effective tools for unclogging a toilet. Experts know the drill and will unclog your toilet within the shortest time possible.
For the best results, use a plumber who is well reputed. Ask for recommendations and referrals for the best plumber in your area.
Knowing how to unblock a slow draining toilet without using a plunger is not enough for a homeowner. You should also know how to prevent blockage in the first place. This will help you to stay off inconveniences and embarrassment caused by a clogged toilet. Try to;
- Avoid using a lot of toilet paper. If need be, flush the toilet before using more of the toilet paper.
- Use hot water to clean your toilet, say once or twice a week.
- Always ensure your flush handle is powerful enough to flush your toilet.
With these tips, you can also contact BDS Drainage to keep your drains running smoothly.